Friday, May 27, 2011

Book Review: Night

Elie Wiesel's Night horrified me with it's true history. I was a little apprehensive because of the title but I was not sure what the title meant.

The theme was one that has been used many a time but not quite like this. Night is the true story of Elie Wiesel, main character and author, as he and his family are ripped from their home and forced into a concentration camp by the name: Auschwitz. Mr. Wiesel was only 15 when these events took place during World War II and amongst the Holocaust. Elie saw things that no child or adult should ever have to experiance. He watched as his own mother and sisters were taken away from him. He saw his own father beaten before his eyes and go mad from illness that resulted in his father's death. Night is one boy's struggle to survive and keep his faith in God. But he starts to lose faith because he believes God turned his back on the Jews.

A book it reminds me of is The Diary of Anne Frank. Because both are about young children during the Holocaust. Not only this, but they are also the authors of their own books. As for current events. the book reminds me of how dictators in foreign countries are taking away the rights of their people.

The character is absolutly believable! Night is the true account of Elie Wiesel, whom the book is about and is also authored by, how could I not believe in the characters?! The characters were alive. They felt the hardships. They performed the beatings. They died senselessly because of the ideals of a madman. The characters once lived.

The book was excellent but it also made me sick. I was barely able finish Night because it disturbed me so thouroghly. My suggestions would be to an older audience.

Pages: 115

No comments:

Post a Comment